Pet Owner’s Heartbreaking Warning About Rope Toys After Dog Tragically Dies

A pet owner’s heartbreaking warning to others about rope toys has gone viral after her dog died a ‘senseless and avoidable death’.
Indira Tuckler, who breeds Golden Retrievers, bought several ‘sturdy looking’ rope toy balls for her dogs believing them to be ‘impossible to destroy’.
However, the breeder noticed the toys had been torn to pieces later that same day and threw them away, hoping none of her dogs had swallowed the pieces.
Dog tragically dies after swallowing toyLucy Connolly | UNILAD
Tragically, one of the dogs – a pup who was just one years old – had eaten three feet of the rope which had then unravelled inside her. She died two days later.
In a post which was shared on Facebook group Vizsla Dog Lovers, owner Indira warned other dog owners about the dangers of purchasing similar toys for their own pets.
She wrote:
The ball unraveled and tore several holes in her intestines as she tried to pass it. They removed 3 feet of rope that was entangled in her intestines. They also removed 14 inches of perforated intestines.
The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later. We did not even have the option of having another surgery. She quickly became septic and bled from her intestines into her stomach.
The rope toys are extremely popular among pet owners and are sold in various reputable stores across the world. However, Indira hopes their tragedy will serve to warn others of just how dangerous these toys really are.
Noting that the symptoms to look out for are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive water consumption and not eating, Indira warned these may be mistaken for a common stomach upset or parasites.
Although rope toys seem like a harmless thing for dogs to play with, the danger occurs when the ball unravels and the dog then consumes several feet of rope – which is exactly what happened in this case.
The dog breeder continued:
Linear objects pose more danger because they travel along the intestines causing more damage as they clinch the intestines into a tight ball
According to an article posted by Germantown Veterinary Clinic ‘Ropes are the most dangerous objects your dog can swallow’!!
Adding that this was a ‘senseless and avoidable death,’ Indira ended by saying these toys should not be sold for dogs.
Rest in peace, pup.

Comments